Household Energy Solutions – For Every Room in Your Home!
Dowler-Karn will ensure your propane tank is refilled regularly – making residential propane a reliable energy choice for rural living – as well as a versatile one.Propane is among the best fuel choices for your home – it’s versatile, inexpensive, and has a low environmental impact compared to other energy sources. It is multipurpose, portable, and affordable, making it ideal for almost any fuel application, even for your car or truck! Furthermore, propane is non-toxic – and is not harmful to soil, water, the environment, or you.* Propane is also ideal for rural areas as a source of power for backup generators in the event that you lose electricity.
Comparing propane to electricity can be complicated, but your family could see significant savings
FIND OUT MORE!
“What appliances can run on propane, and what are the benefits of switching?”
Feel the freedom of using any appliance any time without the worry of surcharges. Unlike electricity, your propane costs stays consistent no matter what time of day. Here are other comparisons that make using a propane appliance a smart choice.
Propane Furnaces Feel the warmth with air consistently heated to 120°F. Electric heat pumps dispense air at 95°F, which is less than our body temperatures (98.6°F), as a result the air feels cool, not warm.
- Propane Furnaces last an average of 20 years, while electric heat pumps last an average of 12 years
- Propane Furnaces have lower repair costs than electric heat pumps
- Propane Water Heaters costs less per month to operate than a comparable electric unit
- Propane Water Heaters heat more than twice as much water in an hour as comparable electric models
- Propane Fireplaces cost between 30% and 60% less per hour of operation than wood-burning fireplaces
- Propane Fireplaces emit 40 times fewer emissions than wood-burning units and cost less to operate
- Propane Fireplaces can be turned off easily with a switch, eliminating concern about remaining embers
- Propane Fireplaces provide a real flame, creating a cozy fire-side experience
- Propane Cookstoves/Ovens offer instant heat and absolute temperature control
- Propane Cookstoves/Ovens are a chef’s choice: 97% of professional chefs prefer cooking with a flame
- Propane Clothes Dryers can complete drying tasks in approximately 75% of the time it takes an electric unit
- Some models of Propane Clothes Dryers save up to 65% in costs over electric dryers
“How is Propane an environmental choice?”
- Propane is a Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), and was used to replace Chlorofluorocarbons (popularly known as CFCs) in refrigeration to fight ozone depletion.
- Propane is safe and stable to store because even if it leaks it is non-toxic. It is also safe for humans and animals, because even if you accidentally inhale propane it will not harm you or induce illness.*
- Propane is lead-free and has negligible Sulphur content, so it does not contribute to acid rain.
- Propane emits less than half the Greenhouse Gas that electricity production does, and propane’s exhaust releases only about 1/3 the hydrocarbons of gasoline.
- Propane furnaces are 1.5 times more efficient than oil furnaces.
“How do I compare propane consumption to electricity usage?”
3.79 litres of propane = 27 kWh (Kilowatt Hours) of electricity – This means that one gallon of propane contains the same amount of usable energy as 27 Kilowatt Hours. Or we can say that 27 kWh equals approximately 91,500 BTU. But what does that mean in “real life?”
Here is an example: A 100 watt light bulb left on for a full day (24 hours) will consume 2.4 kWh. If propane were to power the same light bulb (hypothetically- remember, we’re comparing energy content) for 24 hours, it would use .34 litres of propane.
Navigating the many and varied energy options can be confusing and time consuming, but this is exactly how Dowler-Karn can help. Please give us a call and we can answer any questions you may have regarding propane and its uses. We’ve been providing energy solutions to our community for 75 years and would be more than happy to help.
*Reminder: Propane is a gas and has some dangerous properties – liquid propane must be very cold to be stored, so spilling liquid propane on your skin can cause frostbite, and like all other fuel sources propane is flammable