Trying to compare propane to electricity can be a cumbersome task, but could potentially lead to significant savings for the average family.
3.79 litres of propane = 27 kWh (Kilowatt Hours) of electricity – This means that one gallon of propane contains the same amount of usable energy as 27 Kilowatt Hours. Or we can say that 27 kWh equals approximately 91,500 BTU. But what does that mean in “real life”?
Here is an example:
A 100 watt light bulb left on for a full day (24 hours) will consume 2.4 kWh. If propane were to power the same light bulb (hypothetically- remember, we’re comparing energy content) for 24 hours, it would use .34 litres of propane.
“But what appliances can run on propane and is it worth it for me to switch?”
- Consistently supply air at 120°F. Electric heat pumps dispense 95°F air, which is less than body temperature (98.6°F), so the air feels cool, not warm.
- Last an average of 20 years, while electric heat pumps last an average of 12 years.
- Have lower repair costs than electric heat pumps
Propane Water Heaters
- Cost less per month to operate than comparable electric units
- Heat more than twice as much water in an hour as comparable electric models
- Cost between 30% and 60% less per hour of operation than wood-burning fireplaces
- Emit 40 times fewer emissions than wood-burning units and cost less to operate
- They can be turned off easily with a switch, eliminating concern about remaining embers
- Offer instant heat and absolute temperature control.
- 97% of professional chefs prefer cooking with gas heat.
Propane Clothes Dryer
- Can complete drying tasks in approximately three-quarters of the time it takes an electric unit.
- Some models save up to 65% in costs over electric dryers.
Navigating the waters of energy options can be confusing and time consuming, but that is why we are here. Please give us a call and we can answer any questions you may have regarding propane and its uses. We have been providing energy solutions for our community for almost 75 years and would be more than happy to help.
Looking for more tips and information?
Sign up to our newsletter to get the latest tips and information about Dowler-Karn's special offers, news, and more.Sign Up
Related News & Resources
Dowler-Karn, A Division of McDougall Energy Inc., is giving back this holiday season to the communit...