Careers at Dowler-Karn
Current career opportunities.
Years Experience: Please see description
Licence Required: Driver's License
Software Programmer (One-Year Contract position)
Dowler-Karn Limited is a family-owned and operated business since 1943. We are a benchmark industry leader, distributing energy products (Propane, Fuels and MOBIL Lubricants) within Southwestern Ontario including residential, agriculture and commercial customers.
Dowler-Karn is currently seeking a high-energy, skilled and committed programming professional, based out of our St. Thomas facility, to support and assist the IT Manager. This is a one-year contract position. Among the current responsibilities of the position include:
Key accountabilities include:
- Work in a helpdesk capacity to resolve end-user issues, such as software questions, training, process documentation, software debugging, and so on.
- Provide one-on-one end-user support and problem resolution via face-to-face, telephone and other vehicles of communication.
- Aid in diagnosing and resolving software issues, as well as minor network problems.
- Where necessary, assist with general IT support (password resets, adding users, etc.).
- Provide instruction, training, and support for smart phone users (IOS) as needed.
- Other duties and project work, as required.
To be considered for this excellent career opportunity within a successful and growing third generation owned family business, interested candidates should have the following qualifications:
- College diploma or equivalent work experience in software development.
- Preference will be given to applicants with relevant work experience.
- Experience with data processing principles, software, databases, and operating systems.
- Proficient computer skills in the Microsoft suite of applications (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Experience in supporting desktops, file servers, print servers, virtualization, mobile systems as well as network support would be considered an asset.
- Professional, responsive and a positive work attitude is essential.
- Quick learner who is detail-oriented with superb problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational and customer service skills.
- Self-directed and possess excellent time management skills. This includes the ability to work independently with a strong sense of motivation to succeed.
- Ability to produce high quality work while meeting deadlines.
- Valid driver’s license and a clean driving record; occasional travel required to other Dowler-Karn branches throughout Southwestern Ontario.
New graduates are welcomed to apply.
This is a dayshift position. Regular hours are Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. However, the successful candidate must be able to work flexible hours due to some travel and after-hours requirements. This is a temporary position; however, it will be re-evaluated after one year with the possibility of extension. Dowler-Karn provides a competitive compensation package.
Dowler-Karn Limited places great importance on serving our employees and customers. As a successful family run business that has been in operation for over 75 years, Dowler-Karn operates based on the core values of service, integrity, and community responsibility. We offer a competitive salary along with a comprehensive benefits package including a vehicle allowance in this role.
Interested applicants are directed to submit a resume and covering letter to HR@dowlerkarn.com. Please reference “Your Name- IT”. The deadline for consideration is 9:00 a.m., Monday, October 28th, 2019.
To learn more about Dowler-Karn, we encourage you to visit our website at www.dowlerkarn.com or connect with us:
You Tube: http://bit.ly/DowlerKarnCustomers
Dowler-Karn is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs throughout all parts of the hiring process.
Please note that only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.Apply Today!
Find Out More About Dowler-Karn
We thrive on collaboration, shared values and mutual trust. This means you’ll have the opportunity to dive into a range of experiences, allowing you to take leadership and accountability for your own work. You’ll be working with and learning from great people and continually adding to your skills and knowledge base.
Among the many positions that we have within the company are the following:
- Tandem delivery drivers (Fuels and Propane) – DZ
- Tractor Trailer Drivers (Fuels and Propane) – AZ
- Licensed Service Technicians
- Customer Service and Office Administration Staff
- Customer Account Representatives
- Yard Support Staff
- Truck Mechanics
- No matter where you choose to join us, you’ll feel challenged and supported, valued and rewarded, because we know mutual growth is the key to long term success.
When vacancies are available, we utilize a number of different tools to communicate the opportunity. This will include our Facebook page, Linked-in, and a variety of online job boards in addition to this website. Details on the open position will be provided along with an explanation of the minimum qualifications and any applicable deadline for applying.
As an interested candidate, you are encouraged to check back often to see if we have a position of interest for you. Maybe you should join our Facebook page too! You can also submit a resume and covering letter at any time to email@example.com. Please detail what type of position you are interested in.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest. Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted when we are recruiting to fill a position.
As a third generation company, family has always been at the core of how we do business. A tradition of giving within the communities that we serve is a source of pride for all employees of Dowler-Karn. While we have been fortunate as a company to have enjoyed recognition and success through awards and accolades from our peers, it is the culture of teamwork that is evident amongst our great staff that brings the most satisfaction. That high level of employee satisfaction is evidenced in the high average length of service in our staff and the resulting low turnover rate. It is only through our continued success that we are experiencing growth and as a result, opportunities for new employees to join our organization.
As a company, we are fortunate to be able to continue to grow and invest in our future. This has allowed us to make investments in improved facilities while ensuring that we are able to provide industry leading service to our valued customers. We have always worked hard to be seen as leaders in terms of safety, equipment and technology. We are focused on achieving a leadership position within our industry both in terms of our customer service but also in terms of our commitment to the environment. We continue to strive for environmental leadership in safety, product handling and storage. This is re-enforced in our strong belief and commitment to training and education. This is evidenced by the partnerships that we have forged with our local emergency services personnel.
We recognize that Dowler-Karn would not be where it is today without the efforts of a great team of dedicated employees. While we may be separated by geography across our many branch locations, we are collectively connected by a sense of family and community within the company. From a one man, one truck operation to today, the Karn family has never forgotten its core values of honesty, integrity, and community responsibility.
Dowler-Karn is here to serve our customers. That attention to detail and knowledge of the needs of our many valued customers is what sets us apart. Neighbourly service from our drivers and service staff right through to the customer service staff and our Managers and Owners is what we strive for. When you call Dowler-Karn, you will get a live voice not a menu of choices. It is that personal touch and connection to our customers that we thrive on. With branch locations throughout Southwestern Ontario along with a network of 24 hour key lock locations, Dowler-Karn can meet your personalized needs in achieving excellent customer service and value for your hard earned dollar.
Dowler-Karn offers a great working environment and a competitive compensation and benefits package, including an RRSP match program. Within our industry, we strive to be an employer of choice. We are proud to offer great equipment, training and development opportunities, a safe and healthy working environment, an open door approach to management, personally rewarding work, and job security. When we hire, we do so for the long term. In order to achieve that goal, we have to ensure that the work environment promotes it.