Careers at Dowler-Karn
Current career opportunities.
Years Experience: Please see description
Licence Required: Secondary School, Drivers License, G1/G2/G3 (Gas Tech) License
GAS TECHNICIAN- (2 positions)
LICENSED SERVICE TECHNICIAN
ST. MARYS / SARNIA / CHATHAM / WINDSOR
Dowler-Karn is seeking two high-energy, skilled and committed gas technicians to join our team!
Dowler-Karn Limited is a leading Southwestern Ontario propane and fuel distributor, and has immediate openings for two permanent, fulltime Licensed Service Technician (G1, G2 or G3), based out of our St. Marys branch (1) AND our western region (1) (Chatham, Sarnia OR Windsor). As a successful family run business that has been in operation for over 75 years, Dowler-Karn operates based on its core values of service, integrity, and community responsibility.
Join a successful and growing company and you will be able to boast to others about:
- Clean and up-to-date facilities including pride in our service vehicles, which are stocked with all the necessary tools and equipment!
- Safety excellence….a proactive safety culture and industry safety leader!
- Commitment to community support and involvement in the communities that we serve!
- Investment in our employees through training and development opportunities!
- Working for a family-run business that takes pride in its employees!
The successful candidate is responsible to provide excellent service to our various residential, agricultural and commercial customers:
- Service and install propane related equipment ensuring work is completed to code;
- Install and maintain petroleum dispensing equipment and other fuel applications, ensuring standards are met;
- Inspect propane appliances and piping systems;
- Able to work variable hours, including overtime, when required to meet seasonal or branch demands;
- Participate in rotational on-call duties and when required, perform after-hours call-outs promptly and efficiently;
- Act in a manner to uphold the highest standards for safety in the service and handling of propane & fuels;
- Safe operation of a vehicle; conduct regular vehicle inspections and maintenance;
- Use and maintain supplied tools and equipment in good condition;
- Ensure service vehicle is kept organized and stocked adequately;
- Able to work in all weather conditions;
- Participate in all training programs as directed by the company, including petroleum equipment mechanic (PM3) and liquid propane handling certification.
- Support service operations at other branches.
Do you have the qualifications we’re looking for?
- Current holder of a valid Gas Technician (G1, G2 or G3) license.
- Minimum Grade 12 diploma is required.
- Valid driver’s license with a clean abstract; a DZ license would be an asset.
- Liquid propane endorsement, crop dry technician (CDT) and / or petroleum maintenance mechanic certification would be beneficial.
- Sound technical knowledge of propane and fuel equipment operations.
- Good knowledge of the B149:20 code and Liquid Fuels Handling Code 2017 would be an asset.
- Excellent communication skills and customer service attitude.
- Strong interpersonal skills and be a flexible and dependable team player.
- Personable and confident individual with good time management skills, who can work well under pressure in a variety of situations.
- A strong attention to detail and a willingness to learn in a dynamic and ever-changing environment is necessary.
- Have sufficient physical strength and stamina to lift heavy materials and stand for long periods.
- Must be good at diagnosing problems.\Able to use current technology to ensure vehicle safety and performance
If you answered YES to our qualifications, then we want you to apply!
Interested applicants are directed to submit their resume, cover letter and current drivers abstract via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Your Name- Gas Technician”. The deadline for consideration is 9:00am on Monday, July 26, 2021.
What’s in it for you?
First of all…boasting rights (see above) and not to mention a sense of pride, safety and lots of training!
As well, Dowler-Karn provides a competitive salary and benefit package including group insurance (both medical and dental coverage, plus more), healthcare savings account, paid time off benefits (including sick days, short- and long-term disability programs) and a retirement savings program. And the service performance incentive plan provides an annual benefit up to $2,000 annually! Not to mention, employee discounts…and who doesn’t use gasoline!
Dowler-Karn is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs throughout all parts of the hiring process. Please note that only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.Apply Today!
Find Out More About Dowler-Karn
We thrive on collaboration, shared values and mutual trust. This means you’ll have the opportunity to dive into a range of experiences, allowing you to take leadership and accountability for your own work. You’ll be working with and learning from great people and continually adding to your skills and knowledge base.
Among the many positions that we have within the company are the following:
- Tandem delivery drivers (Fuels and Propane) – DZ
- Tractor Trailer Drivers (Fuels and Propane) – AZ
- Licensed Service Technicians
- Customer Service and Office Administration Staff
- Customer Account Representatives
- Yard Support Staff
- Truck Mechanics
- No matter where you choose to join us, you’ll feel challenged and supported, valued and rewarded, because we know mutual growth is the key to long term success.
When vacancies are available, we utilize a number of different tools to communicate the opportunity. This will include our Facebook page, Linked-in, and a variety of online job boards in addition to this website. Details on the open position will be provided along with an explanation of the minimum qualifications and any applicable deadline for applying.
As an interested candidate, you are encouraged to check back often to see if we have a position of interest for you. Maybe you should join our Facebook page too! You can also submit a resume and covering letter at any time to email@example.com. Please detail what type of position you are interested in.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest. Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted when we are recruiting to fill a position.
About the Company
As a third generation company, family has always been at the core of how we do business. A tradition of giving within the communities that we serve is a source of pride for all employees of Dowler-Karn. While we have been fortunate as a company to have enjoyed recognition and success through awards and accolades from our peers, it is the culture of teamwork that is evident amongst our great staff that brings the most satisfaction. That high level of employee satisfaction is evidenced in the high average length of service in our staff and the resulting low turnover rate. It is only through our continued success that we are experiencing growth and as a result, opportunities for new employees to join our organization.
As a company, we are fortunate to be able to continue to grow and invest in our future. This has allowed us to make investments in improved facilities while ensuring that we are able to provide industry leading service to our valued customers. We have always worked hard to be seen as leaders in terms of safety, equipment and technology. We are focused on achieving a leadership position within our industry both in terms of our customer service but also in terms of our commitment to the environment. We continue to strive for environmental leadership in safety, product handling and storage. This is re-enforced in our strong belief and commitment to training and education. This is evidenced by the partnerships that we have forged with our local emergency services personnel.
We recognize that Dowler-Karn would not be where it is today without the efforts of a great team of dedicated employees. While we may be separated by geography across our many branch locations, we are collectively connected by a sense of family and community within the company. From a one man, one truck operation to today, the Karn family has never forgotten its core values of honesty, integrity, and community responsibility.
Dowler-Karn is here to serve our customers. That attention to detail and knowledge of the needs of our many valued customers is what sets us apart. Neighbourly service from our drivers and service staff right through to the customer service staff and our Managers and Owners is what we strive for. When you call Dowler-Karn, you will get a live voice not a menu of choices. It is that personal touch and connection to our customers that we thrive on. With branch locations throughout Southwestern Ontario along with a network of 24 hour key lock locations, Dowler-Karn can meet your personalized needs in achieving excellent customer service and value for your hard earned dollar.
Dowler-Karn offers a great working environment and a competitive compensation and benefits package, including an RRSP match program. Within our industry, we strive to be an employer of choice. We are proud to offer great equipment, training and development opportunities, a safe and healthy working environment, an open door approach to management, personally rewarding work, and job security. When we hire, we do so for the long term. In order to achieve that goal, we have to ensure that the work environment promotes it.