Careers at Dowler-Karn
Current career opportunities.
Years Experience: 3 years
Dowler-Karn | St. Thomas
43841 Talbot Line, RR 3
Dowler-Karn is looking to fill a full-time position at its St. Thomas head office. Reporting to the Distribution & Logistics Supervisor, the successful candidate will be responsible for proactively directing and dispatching the daily work schedules of Drivers to effectively and efficiently meet customer delivery needs. The Driver Logistics Coordinator will also review and manage orders, removing obstacles and be responsible for updating and maintaining re-occurring orders and daily activity within the routing system.
Among the current responsibilities of the position, include:
- Act as the primary point of contact for Drivers, dispatching daily work and ensuring order fulfillment.
- Monitor the progress and execution of the work plans and adjust schedules accordingly to minimize and prevent run out occurrences.
- Review and verify routing and delivery information to ensure route efficiency.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues encountered by the Driver, including equipment issues, routing or scheduling issues or conflicts.
- Confirm / verify delivery appointments, reschedule and create recurring orders to increase efficiency and improve response / delivery time to customers.
- Conduct interval analysis to ensure effective and timely delivery.
- Provide feedback on day-to-day operations; immediately report safety, performance and attendance issues or successes.
- Promote adherence to relevant Regulatory and Safety requirements and internal standards.
- Monitor and report on propane inventory levels and assist in preparing demand forecasting.
- Answer overflow inbound calls requiring delivery or service and participation in after-hours on-call rotation as required.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of a grade 12 diploma is required, preference is giving to post-secondary education (technical certification in operation or logistics).
- Minimum of three years previous dispatch and / or service coordination experience.
- Proven customer-focused work style.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to present information to audiences.
- Intermediate computer skills including MS Office (Word / Excel); previous experience with routing or mapping technology would be an asset.
- Working knowledge of applicable provincial regulation with respect to Propane and Fuels activities as well as Ministry of Transportation and Employment Standards as it relates specifically to the trucking and transportation of dangerous goods.
- Safety and technical knowledge, with the ability to respond effectively to emergencies.
- Ability to multi-task with strong organization skills and flexible nature, given an environment of constant change.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
This position is a day shift position, including weekend coverage to accommodate variable customer and seasonal demands. Occasionally, the position will require flexibility to provide afternoon coverage.
Interested applicants are directed to submit a resume and covering letter to HR@dowlerkarn.com. Please reference “DRIVER COORDINATOR” in the email subject line. This is a full-time day position.
The deadline for consideration is 4:30pm on Friday, January 4th, 2019. We offer a competitive compensation package including a group benefits program and RRSP program, among other perks. If you want to learn more about Dowler-Karn, please visit our website at www.dowlerkarn.com or connect with us:
You Tube: http://bit.ly/DowlerKarnCustomers
Dowler-Karn is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities.
f you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs throughout all parts of the hiring process.
Please note that only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
As a successful family run business that has been in operation for 75 years, Dowler-Karn operates based on its core values of service, integrity, and community responsibility.
Find Out More About Dowler-Karn
We thrive on collaboration, shared values and mutual trust. This means you’ll have the opportunity to dive into a range of experiences, allowing you to take leadership and accountability for your own work. You’ll be working with and learning from great people and continually adding to your skills and knowledge base.
Among the many positions that we have within the company are the following:
- Tandem delivery drivers (Fuels and Propane) – DZ
- Tractor Trailer Drivers (Fuels and Propane) – AZ
- Licensed Service Technicians
- Customer Service and Office Administration Staff
- Customer Account Representatives
- Yard Support Staff
- Truck Mechanics
- No matter where you choose to join us, you’ll feel challenged and supported, valued and rewarded, because we know mutual growth is the key to long term success.
When vacancies are available, we utilize a number of different tools to communicate the opportunity. This will include our Facebook page, Linked-in, and a variety of online job boards in addition to this website. Details on the open position will be provided along with an explanation of the minimum qualifications and any applicable deadline for applying.
As an interested candidate, you are encouraged to check back often to see if we have a position of interest for you. Maybe you should join our Facebook page too! You can also submit a resume and covering letter at any time to email@example.com. Please detail what type of position you are interested in.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest. Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted when we are recruiting to fill a position.
As a third generation company, family has always been at the core of how we do business. A tradition of giving within the communities that we serve is a source of pride for all employees of Dowler-Karn. While we have been fortunate as a company to have enjoyed recognition and success through awards and accolades from our peers, it is the culture of teamwork that is evident amongst our great staff that brings the most satisfaction. That high level of employee satisfaction is evidenced in the high average length of service in our staff and the resulting low turnover rate. It is only through our continued success that we are experiencing growth and as a result, opportunities for new employees to join our organization.
As a company, we are fortunate to be able to continue to grow and invest in our future. This has allowed us to make investments in improved facilities while ensuring that we are able to provide industry leading service to our valued customers. We have always worked hard to be seen as leaders in terms of safety, equipment and technology. We are focused on achieving a leadership position within our industry both in terms of our customer service but also in terms of our commitment to the environment. We continue to strive for environmental leadership in safety, product handling and storage. This is re-enforced in our strong belief and commitment to training and education. This is evidenced by the partnerships that we have forged with our local emergency services personnel.
We recognize that Dowler-Karn would not be where it is today without the efforts of a great team of dedicated employees. While we may be separated by geography across our many branch locations, we are collectively connected by a sense of family and community within the company. From a one man, one truck operation to today, the Karn family has never forgotten its core values of honesty, integrity, and community responsibility.
Dowler-Karn is here to serve our customers. That attention to detail and knowledge of the needs of our many valued customers is what sets us apart. Neighbourly service from our drivers and service staff right through to the customer service staff and our Managers and Owners is what we strive for. When you call Dowler-Karn, you will get a live voice not a menu of choices. It is that personal touch and connection to our customers that we thrive on. With branch locations throughout Southwestern Ontario along with a network of 24 hour key lock locations, Dowler-Karn can meet your personalized needs in achieving excellent customer service and value for your hard earned dollar.
Dowler-Karn offers a great working environment and a competitive compensation and benefits package, including an RRSP match program. Within our industry, we strive to be an employer of choice. We are proud to offer great equipment, training and development opportunities, a safe and healthy working environment, an open door approach to management, personally rewarding work, and job security. When we hire, we do so for the long term. In order to achieve that goal, we have to ensure that the work environment promotes it.